Skip to the story
All stories

Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor plight'

North Korea’s Kim Yo-jong criticised the reduction of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise and called South Korean President Lee Jae-myung’s remarks 'double-dealing'.

AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Published
Kim Yo-jong, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's sister, is seen in this July 31, 2023, file photo. Yonhap

What this story says

  • Kim Yo-jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, criticised the US decision to reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) military exercise with South Korea.
  • She called South Korean President Lee Jae-myung’s remarks on the reduction 'double-dealing' and said the move placed Seoul in a 'poor plight' of cancelling war games.
  • The UFS exercise was scaled down after a US presidential order, as reported by multiple outlets.
  • Outlets disagreed on whether Kim Yo-jong’s statement was a criticism of the US or an attempt to exploit tensions between Seoul and Washington.

Who covered it

Left 14%(1)Centre 29%(2)Right 57%(4)

Percentages are shares of the 7 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. Coverage measured .

Trust

50/100

Craft

55/100

Hype

30/100

7 sources · methodology

Thin on the left so far

Only 1 of the 7 outlets with a published leaning rating that ran this story are rated left.

This story is still being watched, so it is a count and not yet a finding. Coverage keeps arriving for hours after an event, and a side that has published nothing this morning may publish by tonight. If it is still true when we stop checking, we will say so plainly.

Kim Yo-jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, said on 20 August 2026 that the US decision to reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) military exercise had forced South Korea into a position where it could no longer conduct its preferred war games. The UFS, an annual summertime drill between the US and South Korea, was scaled down after an order from US President Donald Trump.

Kim Yo-jong described the reduction as an 'evident disaster' for South Korean authorities, which she said had been 'blinded by their firm belief in the U.S. master'. She also criticised South Korean President Lee Jae-myung’s remarks on the exercise as 'double-dealing', saying they revealed uneasiness and impatience. The North Korean statement called South Korea’s position a 'poor plight' and suggested the US security aid was no longer free of charge.

How the reports diverged

The Korea Times reported that Kim Yo-jong framed the UFS reduction as a direct consequence of Trump’s order, placing Seoul in a position where it had to cancel war games. NHK World’s digest described her statement as minimising Trump’s decision, without specifying how. The Straits Times and WTVB digests focused on her criticism of Lee Jae-myung’s remarks as 'double-dealing', while the unrated Chosun digest emphasised her description of South Korea as a 'puppet army' walking on eggshells around the US.

What the coverage left out

None of the right-rated digests mentioned Kim Yo-jong’s claim that the US security aid was no longer free of charge. The NHK World digest did not include her description of South Korea’s position as a 'poor plight' or her framing of the US as a 'cruel master'. The unrated Chosun digest was the only report to describe South Korea as a 'puppet army', a phrase absent from all rated digests.

Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 3 times, most recently on 20 Aug 2026, 15:00, and will add the sides that appear.

How each side covered it

Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.

Left

1 rated outlet

  • The Korea Times led on Kim Yo-jong’s claim that the UFS reduction had forced South Korea into a 'poor plight of canceling war games'. It quoted her directly, calling the reduced exercise an 'evident disaster' for Seoul and describing the US as a 'cruel master'. The report included her statement that the US security aid was no longer free of charge and that South Korea’s territory would be insufficient to gain favour with Washington.

Centre

2 rated outlets

  • The two centre-rated digests, from WTVB and Naver, both led on Kim Yo-jong’s criticism of Lee Jae-myung’s remarks as 'double-dealing'. WTVB’s digest noted that she described the remarks as showing uneasiness and impatience. Naver’s digest included her statement that the US security aid was not free and that South Korea was in a 'pitiful situation' unable to conduct war games.

Right

4 rated outlets

  • NHK World’s digest described Kim Yo-jong’s statement as minimising Trump’s decision to reduce the military exercise, though it did not specify how. The Straits Times digest focused on her criticism of Lee Jae-myung’s remarks as 'double-dealing', quoting her description of them as showing uneasiness and impatience. Neither digest mentioned her framing of the US as a 'cruel master' or her claim that US security aid was no longer free.

Questions about this coverage

How did the left and right cover Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor…?
Of the 7 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 14% are rated left, 29% are rated centre, 57% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
Is Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor… left or right?
Too few of the outlets on this story carry a published leaning rating to say. 7 of them do, and this site does not characterise a field under 12: at that size one newsroom filing moves the share by ten points. The percentages above are the count as it stands.
Is the coverage of Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor… biased?
Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor plight' is one event reported by 7 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
Which side is not reporting Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor…?
When we first saw this story, outlets rated left had barely covered it. Coverage accretes for hours after an event, so that is where to look rather than a verdict — the split above is the current count, and it is the one to read.
Which outlets covered Kim Yo-jong says scaled-down US-South Korea drills leave Seoul in 'poor…?
7 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
What did Kim Yo-jong say about the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise?
Kim Yo-jong said the US decision to reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise forced South Korea into a 'poor plight' of cancelling war games. She called the reduction an 'evident disaster' for Seoul and criticised South Korean President Lee Jae-myung’s remarks as 'double-dealing'.
Why was the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise scaled down?
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was scaled down after an order from US President Donald Trump. Multiple outlets reported this, though none provided additional context on the reasoning behind the decision.
How did outlets differ in covering Kim Yo-jong’s statement?
The Korea Times led on her claim that the US was a 'cruel master', while right-rated digests focused on her criticism of Lee Jae-myung’s remarks. NHK World described her statement as minimising Trump’s decision, though it did not specify how.
What did Kim Yo-jong say about US security aid?
Kim Yo-jong said the US security aid was 'no longer free of charge' and that South Korea’s territory would be insufficient to gain favour with Washington. This claim was omitted from all right-rated digests.

Read it at the source

7 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.

Left

1

Centre

2

Right

4

Not rated

0

No outlet in this group ran the story.

How did this read?

About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.

Kim Yo-jong criticises scaled-down US-South Korea drills | MediaBias News