Skip to the story
All stories

Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park

Rodney Scott announced a temporary halt amid bipartisan opposition to the project in the Texas park

AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Published
A Big Bend National Park sign at the west side entrance near Maverick Junction, May 24, 2019, in Big Bend National Park in Texas. (Jacob Ford/Odessa American via AP)

What this story says

  • Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott announced a temporary pause in border construction in Big Bend National Park on 17 August 2026.
  • The pause follows bipartisan opposition, including a letter from Senator John Cornyn to Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin.
  • Construction plans include an access road, vehicle barriers, and buried fiber optic cables, but not a 30-foot bollard wall.
  • No right-rated outlet reported the pause, though four left-rated and two centre-rated outlets did.

Who covered it

Left 67%(4)Centre 33%(2)Right 0%(0)

Percentages are shares of the 6 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. Coverage measured .

Trust

68/100

Craft

95/100

Hype

15/100

6 sources · methodology

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott announced on 17 August 2026 that construction in Big Bend National Park would pause temporarily. Scott said he would visit the site for an on-the-ground evaluation and meet local leaders and stakeholders. The pause follows bipartisan opposition to the project, which includes plans for an access road, vehicle barriers, and buried fiber optic cables.

The project has faced criticism from Texas officials, local residents, and former national park officials. Senator John Cornyn, a Republican, wrote to Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin on 12 August 2026 expressing concerns about construction in the park. Cornyn argued that the region’s rugged terrain already deters migrants and smugglers. Border crossings in the area have declined over the past two years, according to Customs and Border Protection.

The Trump administration received $46 billion from Congress in 2025 to build a border wall from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico. Customs and Border Protection had previously abandoned plans for a 30-foot bollard wall in the park but continued with other measures. Bulldozers were seen clearing land in the park last week, prompting further opposition.

What the coverage left out

No right-rated outlet ran the story at all. None of the digests from left or centre-rated outlets mentioned the $46 billion allocated by Congress for the broader border wall project, though the Associated Press report did. The digests also omitted the details of the construction plans, such as the buried fiber optic cables and the abandoned 30-foot bollard wall.

Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 1 time, most recently on 17 Aug 2026, 20:00, and will add the sides that appear.

How each side covered it

Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.

Left

4 rated outlets

  • The four left-rated digests led on the bipartisan opposition to the project. The Associated Press report described the pause as a "rare concession" from the Trump administration and noted the intensity of the opposition. It quoted Scott’s statement on X that he would "listen to local leadership, community members and stakeholders" during his visit.
  • The Associated Press report also highlighted the environmental concerns raised by critics, including the potential impact on tourism and the park’s night skies. It noted that the administration had waived numerous regulations to accelerate construction. The report included Cornyn’s argument that the terrain itself acts as a natural barrier.

Centre

2 rated outlets

  • The two centre-rated digests focused on the pause itself. BorderReport led with Scott’s announcement that "all construction activity at Big Bend National Park has been paused." The Hill’s digest stated that Scott halted construction "following bipartisan pushback." Neither digest mentioned the environmental concerns or the specific measures planned for the park.

Right

0 rated outlets

No outlet rated right has run this story so far. We are still checking, and will say plainly if that does not change.

Read it at the source

6 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.

Questions about this coverage

How did the left and right cover Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park?
Of the 6 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 67% are rated left, 33% are rated centre, 0% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
Is Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park left or right?
Too few of the outlets on this story carry a published leaning rating to say. 6 of them do, and this site does not characterise a field under 12: at that size one newsroom filing moves the share by ten points. The percentages above are the count as it stands.
Is the coverage of Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park biased?
Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park is one event reported by 6 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
Which outlets covered Customs chief pauses border construction in Big Bend National Park?
6 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
Why was construction paused in Big Bend National Park?
Construction was paused after bipartisan opposition, including a letter from Senator John Cornyn to Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott announced the pause on 17 August 2026 for an on-the-ground evaluation.
What are the plans for border construction in Big Bend National Park?
The plans include an access road, vehicle barriers, and buried fiber optic cables. The Trump administration had previously abandoned plans for a 30-foot bollard wall in the park but continued with other measures.
Which outlets reported the pause in construction?
Four left-rated outlets and two centre-rated outlets reported the pause. No right-rated outlet covered the story. The Associated Press provided the most detailed account, including environmental concerns and bipartisan opposition.

How did this read?

About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.

Rodney Scott pauses Big Bend border construction | MediaBias News