Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on Landesnetz
Two Senate departments disconnected as precaution; investigators unable to rule out data breach
AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on Landesnetz
Photograph: derwesten.de (embedded from source)
What this story says
- The attack was detected during forensic investigations of Berlin’s Landesnetz, the city’s secure government network.
- Two Senate administrations, urban development and mobility, were disconnected on 14 August to prevent further damage.
- A crisis unit including the LKA, Berlin public prosecutor’s office, and BSI was established, but no group has claimed responsibility.
- Officials have not confirmed whether sensitive data was stolen or how long the affected departments will operate without network access.
Who covered it
Percentages are shares of the 8 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. 4 of the 12 outlets we know ran this story carry no rating and are not counted in them. Coverage measured .
Trust
66/100
Craft
95/100
Hype
15/100
12 sources · methodology
Thin on the left so far
Only 1 of the 8 outlets with a published leaning rating that ran this story are rated left.
This story is still being watched, so it is a count and not yet a finding. Coverage keeps arriving for hours after an event, and a side that has published nothing this morning may publish by tonight. If it is still true when we stop checking, we will say so plainly.
On 17 August 2026, Berlin’s Senate Chancellery reported that a hacker attack had targeted the city’s Landesnetz, a secure high-speed network connecting around 600 government and public sites. The attack was discovered during forensic investigations, according to statements from the Chancellery.
Two Senate administrations, the Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung, Bauen und Wohnen and the Senatsverwaltung für Mobilität, Verkehr, Umwelt und Klimaschutz, were taken offline as a precaution on 14 August. The disconnection was intended to prevent further damage, though the extent of the breach remains unclear. Both departments have been cut off from internet and email communication since Friday evening, as reported by rbb24.
A crisis unit led by Berlin’s information security commissioner was established to investigate the attack. The unit includes the Landeskriminalamt (LKA), the Berlin public prosecutor’s office, and the Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI). The public prosecutor’s office confirmed to dpa that an official investigation had been launched. The Senate Chancellery stated that no further details on the attack’s scope or origins could be provided due to ongoing investigations.
It is unclear whether sensitive data was stolen during the attack or how long the affected administrations will remain offline. Employees at one of the departments told Der Tagesspiegel that they were "practically incapacitated" without internet or email access. The Landesnetz, operated by ITDZ Berlin, is a fibre-optic network used exclusively by Berlin’s government.
What the coverage left out
None of the digests or full reports specified whether the attack involved ransomware, malware, or another form of cyber intrusion. The full reports from derwesten.de and Tagesschau did not mention whether the affected administrations had backup systems or contingency plans for operating without network access. None of the right-rated digests mentioned the involvement of the BSI in the investigation.
Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 2 times, most recently on 17 Aug 2026, 18:15, and will add the sides that appear.
How other outlets pictured it
Which photograph to run is each newsroom’s own choice. The leaning beside a name is that outlet’s published rating, not a claim that the pictures divide along it. Every picture is shown from the outlet’s own server and links to the article it ran in.

Symbolbild: Eine Hand bedient eine Maus am Computer (Quelle: picture alliance/dpa/S.Stache)
Tagesschau — embedded from source

Eine Hand auf einem Laptop (Symbolbild).
Der Tagesspiegel — embedded from source
How each side covered it
Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.
Left
1 rated outlet
- The single left-rated digest, from Zeit Online, led on the fact that parts of the Berlin Senate administration had become victims of a cyberattack under investigation. It noted that it was unclear whether data had been lost, matching the emphasis of the centre-rated reports on the uncertainty surrounding the breach’s impact.
Centre
3 rated outlets
- All three centre-rated reports, derwesten.de, Tagesschau, and Der Tagesspiegel, led on the precautionary disconnection of the two Senate administrations and the establishment of a crisis unit. Tagesschau and derwesten.de both highlighted the involvement of the LKA, Berlin public prosecutor’s office, and BSI in the investigation. Tagesschau quoted the Senate Chancellery’s statement that no further details could be provided for "investigative tactical reasons."
- derwesten.de included a sidebar listing five major hacker attacks in Germany since 2015, including the 2015 Bundestag breach and the 2021 ransomware attack on Anhalt-Bitterfeld. The report also quoted a spokesperson for the public prosecutor’s office confirming the launch of an official investigation. Tagesschau and Der Tagesspiegel both noted that the affected administrations had been cut off from internet and email communication, with Der Tagesspiegel quoting an employee describing the departments as "practically incapacitated."
Right
4 rated outlets
- The four right-rated digests, Handelsblatt, Bild, Berliner Morgenpost, and focus.de, all led on the attack’s disruption to government operations. Bild and Der Tagesspiegel both quoted an employee describing the affected administrations as "practically incapacitated," though only Der Tagesspiegel’s full report carried the quote. Handelsblatt and focus.de emphasised the unknown extent of the attack, with Handelsblatt’s headline describing the situation as "extent unknown."
- Bild’s digest was the only one to frame the attack as having left authorities "practically incapacitated" in its headline. Berliner Morgenpost’s digest noted that abnormalities were detected in the protected network of authorities, leading to the precautionary disconnection of the two Senate administrations.
Read it at the source
12 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.
Left
1Centre
3- Hacker Attack on Berlin Authorities - Extent Still Uncertain (opens derwesten.de in a new tab)
derwesten.de — is derwesten.de biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Evidently Hacker Attack on Berlin's National Network (opens Tagesschau in a new tab)
Tagesschau — is Tagesschau biased? Our profile of this outlet
- "We Are Practically Incapacitated: Hacker Attack on Berlin Senate Administrations (opens Der Tagesspiegel in a new tab)
Der Tagesspiegel — is Der Tagesspiegel biased? Our profile of this outlet
Right
4- Internal Security: Hacker Attack on Berlin's National Network – Extent Unknown (opens Handelsblatt in a new tab)
Handelsblatt — is Handelsblatt biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Hacker Attack on Berlin Senate Administration: Authorities Practically Incapacitated (opens Bild in a new tab)
- Suspicion of Hacking Attack: Two Berlin Senate Administrations Removed From the Network (opens Berliner Morgenpost in a new tab)
Berliner Morgenpost — is Berliner Morgenpost biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Berlin Senate Administration Victims of Hacker Attack (opens focus.de in a new tab)
Not rated
4- Berlin Government Network Hit by Security Breach, Ministries Disconnected (opens arabtimesonline.com in a new tab)
arabtimesonline.com — is arabtimesonline.com biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Cyberattack on Berliner Landesnetz – Extent Unknown (opens Heise in a new tab)
- Evidently Hacker Attack on Berlin's National Network (opens rbb24 in a new tab)
rbb24
- Security: Hacker Attack on Berliner Landesnetz – Extent Unknown (opens wiwo.de in a new tab)
Questions about this coverage
- How did the left and right cover Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on…?
- Of the 8 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 13% are rated left, 37% are rated centre, 50% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it, which was 12. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
- Is Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on… left or right?
- Too few of the outlets on this story carry a published leaning rating to say. 8 of them do, and this site does not characterise a field under 12: at that size one newsroom filing moves the share by ten points. The percentages above are the count as it stands.
- Is the coverage of Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on… biased?
- Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on Landesnetz is one event reported by 12 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
- Which side is not reporting Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on…?
- When we first saw this story, outlets rated left had barely covered it. Coverage accretes for hours after an event, so that is where to look rather than a verdict — the split above is the current count, and it is the one to read.
- Which outlets covered Berlin state administrations taken offline after hacker attack on…?
- 12 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
- Which Berlin administrations were affected by the hacker attack?
- The Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung, Bauen und Wohnen and the Senatsverwaltung für Mobilität, Verkehr, Umwelt und Klimaschutz were taken offline as a precaution. Both have been disconnected from the Landesnetz since 14 August 2026 to prevent further damage.
- Has any group claimed responsibility for the attack?
- No group has claimed responsibility for the hacker attack on Berlin’s Landesnetz. The Senate Chancellery has not released details on potential suspects, citing ongoing investigations by the LKA, Berlin public prosecutor’s office, and BSI.
- What is the Landesnetz?
- The Landesnetz is a secure high-speed fibre-optic network connecting around 600 government and public sites in Berlin. It is operated by ITDZ Berlin and is used exclusively by the city’s administration for internal communication and data transfer.
- Are the affected administrations still operational?
- It is unclear how long the affected administrations will remain operational without network access. Employees told Der Tagesspiegel they were "practically incapacitated" without internet or email, but no official statement has confirmed whether backup systems are in place.
How did this read?
About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.


