Skip to the story
All stories

Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over Turkey

A phone call between Roman Gofman and Asaad al-Shaibani on 14 August preceded the 18-19 August airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur

AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Published Updated
Mossad chief Roman Gofman held a phone call last week with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani

What this story says

  • Mossad chief Roman Gofman spoke with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani on 14 August about Turkey’s military presence in Syria.
  • Israel struck Abu al-Duhur airbase on 18-19 August, four days after the call.
  • Netanyahu said Israel would not tolerate a Turkish military entrenchment in Syria.
  • Turkey has more than 20,000 troops in Syria, according to its defence minister.

Who covered it

Left 15%(3)Centre 35%(7)Right 50%(10)

Percentages are shares of the 20 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. 14 of the 34 outlets we know ran this story carry no rating and are not counted in them. Coverage measured .

Trust

78/100

Craft

65/100

Hype

25/100

34 sources · methodology

On 14 August 2026, the head of Israel’s Mossad, Roman Gofman, spoke by telephone with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani. The call, reported by Reuters and corroborated by three unnamed sources, focused on Turkey’s military presence in Syria. It was among the highest-level contacts yet between Israel and the Damascus administration led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa.

Four days later, Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northwestern Syria. Syrian state television said eight strikes hit the runway and storage facilities; no casualties were reported. The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office said Syria had been on the verge of violating a security status quo by allowing Turkish forces to deploy at the base.

Turkey’s defence minister said last year that Turkey had more than 20,000 troops in Syria and no plans to withdraw them. Turkey supports the al-Sharaa government and trains Syrian forces. Israel has repeatedly warned against Turkish military expansion in Syria.

The three left-rated digests led on the timing of the call and the strike. Ynet News, whose full report is printed below, quoted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: “We will not tolerate a Turkish military entrenchment in Syria that threatens Israel. We made the message very clear: Don’t. Apparently they did not hear it clearly enough, so we made sure they understood it better.” Ynet also carried criticism from Democrats chairman Yair Golan, who called the strike a “provocative and dangerous move” that deepened the rift with allies, including the United States.

Ynet described the call as part of “unprecedented contacts” between Israel and the new Damascus government. It reported that Israel and Syria had held direct meetings on security issues since May 2025 and that Foreign Minister al-Shaibani had met Israeli minister Ron Dermer in Paris in August 2025. The report said al-Sharaa had expressed interest in a security agreement with Israel that could later pave the way for broader peace, though Syria had not relinquished its claim to the Golan Heights.

The six centre-rated digests led on the call itself and the sequence of events. The Hindustan Times, whose full report is printed below, said the August 14 call came four days before the strike and was among the highest-level contacts yet between Israel and the Damascus administration. It quoted a US envoy, Tom Barrack, saying the United States was working to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey and Syria.

Reuters, whose digest is printed below, reported that Gofman and al-Shaibani discussed Turkey’s military presence in Syria. The Japan Times digest said the call was one of the highest-level contacts yet between Israel and the al-Sharaa administration.

The eight right-rated digests led on the strike as a response to Turkish military expansion. The Times of India digest said Gofman and al-Shaibani discussed Turkey’s increasing military presence and weapons sales in Syria. WIN reported that Netanyahu said Israel had acted after its warnings over a Turkish military deployment were ignored.

Le Figaro’s digest said Netanyahu implicitly acknowledged the strike to deter Ankara from any military installation project. i24NEWS said Israel had warned Syria before the strike, quoting Jerusalem as saying, “We know that the Turks are coming. This is a violation of the status quo.”

None of the right-rated digests mention the US effort to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey and Syria, reported by the Hindustan Times. None of the left-rated digests mention Turkey’s statement that its troops were at the base solely for training and military cooperation, reported by Haberler.

Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 5 times, most recently on 20 Aug 2026, 09:15, and will add the sides that appear.

How each side covered it

Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.

Left

3 rated outlets

  • The three left-rated outlets agree that Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria on 18 August 2026 after a 14 August phone call between Mossad chief Roman Gofman and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani. All report that the call addressed Turkey’s military presence in Syria. Ynet News adds that the strike followed a warning from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to Turkey.
  • Ynet News leads on Netanyahu’s statement that Israel would not tolerate Turkish military entrenchment in Syria. It quotes Netanyahu directly: “We made the message very clear: Don’t.” The report also includes criticism from Democrats chairman Yair Golan, who called the strike “provocative and dangerous” and accused Netanyahu of using military force for political survival.
  • Ynet News alone provides context on Turkey’s role in Syria, including its support for the new Damascus government and its deployment of over 20,000 troops. It also details past Israeli strikes on Syrian bases linked to Turkish activity and mentions U.S. concerns over the escalation. Haaretz and Al-Monitor do not include these details in their digests.

Centre

7 rated outlets

  • The centre-rated reports agree that Israel’s Mossad chief Roman Gofman spoke by phone with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani on 14 August 2026. The call addressed Turkey’s military presence in Syria. Four days later, Israel struck a Syrian airbase.
  • Six of the seven centre-rated digests led on the timing of the call and the strike. The Hindustan Times report added that the call was among the highest-level contacts between Israel and the Damascus administration led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa. It also noted US efforts to establish a deconfliction mechanism involving Israel, Turkey, and Syria.
  • The Economic Times digest included Prime Minister Netanyahu’s warning about Turkish troops threatening Israel’s security and Turkey’s rejection of Israel’s allegations. None of the other centre-rated digests mentioned these statements.

Right

10 rated outlets

  • The right-rated digests agree that Israel struck a Syrian airbase after its intelligence chief spoke with Syria’s foreign minister about Turkey’s military presence. All nine led on the phone call between Roman Gofman and Asaad al-Shaibani, which occurred days before the attack.
  • Six digests report that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Syria or Turkey over the military buildup. Five include Turkey’s rejection of Israel’s allegations. None of the digests mention casualties or damage from the airstrike itself.
  • The digests quote no Syrian or Turkish officials. The only voices attributed are Israeli: Netanyahu’s warnings and unnamed Israeli sources describing the call. The Turkish response is presented as a denial, not a direct statement.

Read it at the source

34 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.

Left

3

Centre

7

Right

10
Show 2 more

Not rated

14
Show 6 more

Questions about this coverage

How did the left and right cover Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over…?
Of the 20 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 15% are rated left, 35% are rated centre, 50% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it, which was 34. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
Is Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over… left or right?
Neither side dominates it. Of the 20 rated outlets on this story, 15% are rated left, 35% are rated centre, 50% are rated right, and no side holds the 70% this site would want before calling a field one-sided. A story is not left or right in any case; the outlets that carried it are what carry ratings.
Is the coverage of Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over… biased?
Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over Turkey is one event reported by 34 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
Which outlets covered Israel struck Syrian airbase after Mossad chief warned Damascus over…?
34 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
What did the Mossad chief and Syrian foreign minister discuss?
Roman Gofman and Asaad al-Shaibani discussed Turkey’s military presence in Syria during a phone call on 14 August 2026. The call was among the highest-level contacts yet between Israel and the Damascus administration, as reported by Reuters and corroborated by three sources.
Why did Israel strike the Abu al-Duhur airbase?
Israel struck the airbase on 18-19 August 2026 after warning Syria about allowing Turkish forces to deploy there. Netanyahu said Israel would not tolerate a Turkish military entrenchment in Syria, as reported by Ynet News and the Jerusalem Post.
How many Turkish troops are in Syria?
Turkey has more than 20,000 troops in Syria, according to a statement by its defence minister last year. Turkey supports the al-Sharaa government and trains Syrian forces, as reported by Ynet News.
What is the US doing to reduce tensions in Syria?
The US is working to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey and Syria, according to US envoy Tom Barrack, as reported by the Hindustan Times. The goal is to reduce the risk of unintended clashes in Syrian airspace.

How did this read?

About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.

Israel strikes Syrian airbase after Mossad-Syria call | MediaBias News