Skip to the story
All stories

Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump leaves office

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon rules out referendum before January 2029

AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Published
Parti Quebecois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon listens to a question during a University of Calgary School of Public Policy event in Calgary, Thursday, Sept. 11, 2025. (Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press via AP, File)

What this story says

  • Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon said Quebec will not hold an independence referendum before 20 January 2029, when Donald Trump’s second term ends.
  • The party remains committed to holding a referendum during its first mandate if elected, but only after Trump leaves office.
  • Support for Quebec independence stands at around 30%, according to polling cited by AP and CTV, with Trump’s policies strengthening the case for remaining in Canada.
  • The decision aims to avoid a debate overshadowed by American political instability, St-Pierre Plamondon said.

Who covered it

Left 50%(10)Centre 40%(8)Right 10%(2)

Percentages are shares of the 20 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. 4 of the 24 outlets we know ran this story carry no rating and are not counted in them. Coverage measured .

Trust

70/100

Craft

65/100

Hype

15/100

24 sources · methodology

Thin on the right so far

Only 2 of the 20 outlets with a published leaning rating that ran this story are rated right.

This story is still being watched, so it is a count and not yet a finding. Coverage keeps arriving for hours after an event, and a side that has published nothing this morning may publish by tonight. If it is still true when we stop checking, we will say so plainly.

Paul St-Pierre Plamondon, leader of Quebec’s Parti Québécois (PQ), announced on 18 August 2026 that his party would not hold a referendum on independence from Canada while Donald Trump remains U.S. president. The PQ, which is currently out of power but leading in polls ahead of Quebec’s 5 October election, said it would still hold a referendum during its first term in office, but not before 20 January 2029, the end of Trump’s second term.

St-Pierre Plamondon said the decision was made to ensure a calm and informed debate on Quebec’s future. He argued that Trump’s unpredictability, tariffs and rhetoric about making Canada the 51st U.S. state had complicated the separatist case, fuelling Canadian nationalism and making independence a harder sell. Polling cited by the Associated Press and CTV News shows support for Quebec independence remains at around 30%.

The PQ has governed Quebec several times without holding a referendum, most recently from 2012 to 2014. Quebec, where 80% of the population is French-speaking, already has significant autonomy, including its own income tax, immigration policies favouring French speakers and laws prioritising French over English. The province has twice rejected sovereignty in referendums, most recently in 1995 by a narrow margin.

What the coverage left out

None of the right-rated digests mentioned the 30% support figure for Quebec independence or the analysis from Daniel Béland that a referendum during Trump’s presidency would have been "particularly risky". The centre-rated digests did not carry the 30% support figure or the impact of Trump’s tariffs and rhetoric on separatist sentiment. The left-rated reports were the only ones to include Béland’s analysis and the polling data on support for independence.

Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 6 times, most recently on 18 Aug 2026, 17:15, and will add the sides that appear.

How other outlets pictured it

Which photograph to run is each newsroom’s own choice. The leaning beside a name is that outlet’s published rating, not a claim that the pictures divide along it. Every picture is shown from the outlet’s own server and links to the article it ran in.

Parti Quebecois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon speaks during a news conference marking the end of session at the legislature in Quebec City, Friday, June 12, 2026. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press)
CTV NewsCentre

How each side covered it

Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.

Left

10 rated outlets

  • The nine left-rated digests and two full reports led on St-Pierre Plamondon’s decision to delay the referendum until after Trump leaves office. The Associated Press and La Presse quoted his statement that the debate must not be "hijacked by the upheavals of American politics" or "fear campaigns". The Toronto Star and Hamilton Spectator noted the announcement came as the PQ leads in polls ahead of the October election.
  • The Associated Press report included analysis from Daniel Béland, a political science professor at McGill University, who said triggering a referendum while Trump was in office would have been "particularly risky". The report also noted that Trump’s policies had strengthened the case for remaining in Canada. The Independent and Stuff digests highlighted the uphill battle separatist referendums face in Quebec and Alberta due to Trump’s rhetoric.

Centre

8 rated outlets

  • The six centre-rated digests and CTV News’s full report led on the PQ’s commitment to delay the referendum until after Trump’s presidency. CTV News quoted St-Pierre Plamondon’s social media statement that the decision would "completely defuse the argument that this would be the worst possible time to reflect on our future because of Trump". The report also noted the PQ’s polling lead, with 30% support in voting intentions, though support for sovereignty remains at 31%.
  • CP24 and City News digests repeated the PQ’s position that a referendum would not be held "while Donald Trump is president". Le Devoir’s digest noted that St-Pierre Plamondon would make an "important statement" about the referendum, though it did not specify the content. None of the centre-rated digests mentioned the 30% support figure for independence or the impact of Trump’s policies on separatist sentiment.

Right

2 rated outlets

  • The Montreal Gazette’s digest was the only right-rated report. It led on the PQ’s commitment to hold a referendum after Trump leaves office, stating that the party "is still committed to holding a referendum in its first mandate". The digest did not mention the 30% support figure for independence, the reasoning behind the delay, or the impact of Trump’s policies on separatist efforts.

Read it at the source

52 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.

Left

26
Show 18 more

Centre

17
Show 9 more

Right

2

Not rated

7

Questions about this coverage

How did the left and right cover Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump…?
Of the 20 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 50% are rated left, 40% are rated centre, 10% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it, which was 24. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
Is Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump… left or right?
Neither side dominates it. Of the 20 rated outlets on this story, 50% are rated left, 40% are rated centre, 10% are rated right, and no side holds the 70% this site would want before calling a field one-sided. A story is not left or right in any case; the outlets that carried it are what carry ratings.
Is the coverage of Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump… biased?
Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump leaves office is one event reported by 24 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
Which side is not reporting Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump…?
When we first saw this story, outlets rated right had barely covered it. Coverage accretes for hours after an event, so that is where to look rather than a verdict — the split above is the current count, and it is the one to read.
Which outlets covered Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump…?
24 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
Why did the Parti Québécois delay the independence referendum?
Paul St-Pierre Plamondon said the referendum would be delayed until after Donald Trump leaves office in January 2029 to avoid a debate overshadowed by American political instability. Trump’s tariffs and rhetoric about making Canada the 51st U.S. state have complicated separatist efforts, making independence harder to argue for.
What is the current support for Quebec independence?
Support for Quebec independence remains at around 30%, according to polling cited by the Associated Press and CTV News. Trump’s policies have strengthened the case for remaining in Canada, making separatist referendums an uphill battle in both Quebec and Alberta.
When will the Parti Québécois hold a referendum if elected?
The Parti Québécois has committed to holding a referendum during its first mandate if elected, but not before 20 January 2029, when Donald Trump’s second term ends. The party said it would consult Quebecers on independence during its term but would not trigger a vote while Trump is in office.

How did this read?

About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.

Quebec separatist leader delays independence vote until after Trump leaves office | MediaBias News