Skip to the story
All stories

Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo

Officials disagree on how many people are still in the city after a border surge in July

AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made

Published
Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain are escorted by Spanish police to temporary shelters after being cleared from a beach in the Spanish exlave of Ceuta on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Sempere)

What this story says

  • Spanish police moved migrants from a beach in Ceuta to shelters on 20 August 2026, three weeks after more than 72,000 people crossed from Morocco.
  • City officials estimate 9,000 to 10,000 migrants remain in Ceuta, including about 2,000 minors, while Spain’s interior ministry says roughly 5,000 are still there.
  • At least 90 people died during the initial border surge, and the U.N. refugee agency says about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could qualify for international protection.
  • Spain has allocated 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) in emergency funds and is processing asylum claims on an individual basis.

Who covered it

Left 52%(17)Centre 39%(13)Right 9%(3)

Percentages are shares of the 33 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. 4 of the 37 outlets we know ran this story carry no rating and are not counted in them. Coverage measured .

Trust

65/100

Craft

55/100

Hype

30/100

37 sources · methodology

Thin on the right so far

Only 3 of the 33 outlets with a published leaning rating that ran this story are rated right.

This story is still being watched, so it is a count and not yet a finding. Coverage keeps arriving for hours after an event, and a side that has published nothing this morning may publish by tonight. If it is still true when we stop checking, we will say so plainly.

On 20 August 2026, Spanish police escorted migrants from a beach in Ceuta to makeshift shelters. The relocation followed weeks of migrants living in makeshift huts and sleeping on cardboard sheets. The move came three weeks after more than 72,000 people crossed into the Spanish territory from Morocco in late July.

City officials in Ceuta estimate that 9,000 to 10,000 migrants remain in the city, including about 2,000 minors. The estimate is based on the number of daily food rations distributed by aid groups. Spain’s interior ministry, however, puts the figure at roughly 5,000 people. At least 90 people died during the initial border surge, according to reports.

The U.N. refugee agency estimates that about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could be eligible for international protection. Most of those who crossed in late July are from Morocco, but people from Sudan, Mali and Yemen also made the journey. Spain has allocated 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) in emergency funds to help the city cope with the arrivals.

Disagreement over migrant numbers

City officials in Ceuta estimate that 9,000 to 10,000 migrants remain in the city, as reported by the Associated Press and Washington Top News. Spain’s interior ministry, however, estimates that roughly 5,000 migrants are still in Ceuta, according to the same outlets. The discrepancy has not been resolved.

What the coverage left out

None of the right-rated digests mention the U.N. refugee agency’s estimate that about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could qualify for international protection. The centre-rated digests do not include the voices of migrants or aid workers, focusing instead on official estimates and government responses.

Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 71 times, most recently on 21 Aug 2026, 18:00, and will add the sides that appear.

How each side covered it

Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.

Left

17 rated outlets

  • The left-rated reports led on the humanitarian conditions in Ceuta. The Associated Press and the Seattle Times both reported that migrants had been moved from a beach to makeshift shelters by Spanish police. The Associated Press included details of migrants combing through abandoned belongings for useful items and quoted Khadija Rifai, a 20-year-old Moroccan woman, who said authorities had not found solutions for adults like her.
  • The left-rated reports also highlighted the U.N. refugee agency’s estimate that about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could qualify for international protection. The Associated Press quoted Paula Barrachina, a spokesperson for the agency in Spain, who urged the Spanish government to start processing asylum claims as soon as possible. The reports included the voices of migrants and aid workers, as well as the criticism from Ceuta’s mayor, Juan Jesús Vivas, who accused the national government of not doing enough.

Centre

13 rated outlets

  • The centre-rated digests carried the official estimates of how many migrants remain in Ceuta. The Globe & Mail and Mid Florida Newspapers both reported the city’s estimate of 9,000 to 10,000 migrants, including about 2,000 minors. Washington Top News, which published a full report, included both the city’s estimate and the interior ministry’s lower figure of roughly 5,000 people.
  • The centre-rated reports also carried the Spanish government’s response. Washington Top News reported that Spain’s Minister of Inclusion, Social Security and Migration, Elma Saiz, said the government had secured space to accommodate 1,800 migrants in a parking lot and a military facility. The reports included the government’s allocation of 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) in emergency funds and its plan to process asylum claims on an individual basis.

Right

3 rated outlets

  • The right-rated digest from the Washington Times carried the description of migrants living on a beach in Ceuta, sleeping on cardboard sheets and guarding their possessions in tattered plastic bags. The report did not include the U.N. refugee agency’s estimate of how many migrants could qualify for international protection or the Spanish government’s allocation of emergency funds.

Questions about this coverage

How did the left and right cover Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo?
Of the 33 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 52% are rated left, 39% are rated centre, 9% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it, which was 37. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
Is Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo left or right?
Neither side dominates it. Of the 33 rated outlets on this story, 52% are rated left, 39% are rated centre, 9% are rated right, and no side holds the 70% this site would want before calling a field one-sided. A story is not left or right in any case; the outlets that carried it are what carry ratings.
Is the coverage of Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo biased?
Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo is one event reported by 37 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
Which side is not reporting Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo?
When we first saw this story, outlets rated right had barely covered it. Coverage accretes for hours after an event, so that is where to look rather than a verdict — the split above is the current count, and it is the one to read.
Which outlets covered Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as thousands remain in limbo?
37 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
How many migrants are still in Ceuta?
City officials estimate 9,000 to 10,000 migrants remain in Ceuta, including about 2,000 minors. Spain’s interior ministry, however, says roughly 5,000 people are still there. The discrepancy between the two estimates has not been resolved by the reports.
What is Spain doing to help migrants in Ceuta?
Spain has allocated 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) in emergency funds to help Ceuta cope with the arrivals. The government has also secured space to accommodate 1,800 migrants in a parking lot and a military facility and is processing asylum claims on an individual basis.
How many migrants in Ceuta could qualify for international protection?
The U.N. refugee agency estimates that about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could qualify for international protection. The agency has urged the Spanish government to start processing asylum claims as soon as possible.

Read it at the source

37 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.

Left

17
Show 9 more

Centre

13
Show 5 more

Right

3

Not rated

4

How did this read?

About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.

Spain moves migrants from Ceuta beach as numbers disputed | MediaBias News