Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis
Spanish territory begins interring unidentified bodies as repatriation efforts stall.
AI-assisted coverage comparison, editor-supervised · How this was made
Funeral workers bury migrants who died while trying to cross from Morocco into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Sempere)
Photograph: Associated Press News (embedded from source)
What this story says
- Eighteen migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory of Ceuta were buried on Friday.
- The deceased were among over 90 migrants who lost their lives during Spain's deadliest border crisis three weeks ago.
- Repatriation paperwork for the bodies was complete, according to Ceuta's city government, but Morocco's government had not accepted it.
- The Moroccan Association for Human Rights called for burials to be halted until bodies could be identified and repatriated.
Who covered it
Percentages are shares of the 14 outlets carrying a published leaning rating. 1 of the 15 outlets we know ran this story carry no rating and are not counted in them. Coverage measured .
Trust
60/100
Craft
70/100
Hype
20/100
15 sources · methodology
Thin on the right so far
None of the 14 outlets with a published leaning rating that ran this story are rated right.
This story is still being watched, so it is a count and not yet a finding. Coverage keeps arriving for hours after an event, and a side that has published nothing this morning may publish by tonight. If it is still true when we stop checking, we will say so plainly.
Eighteen migrants who died during Spain's deadliest border crisis were buried in Ceuta's Muslim cemetery on Friday. The burials took place against the sound of prayers, with body bags lowered into numbered graves. The migrants were among more than 90 people who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory in North Africa three weeks prior.
The Moroccan Association for Human Rights requested that the burials be paused until all efforts were made to identify the bodies and send them back to Morocco. A spokesperson for Ceuta's city government stated that the necessary paperwork for repatriation was finalised, but Morocco's government had not accepted it. Morocco's foreign ministry did not respond to questions regarding the stalled repatriation.
Migrants cited unemployment and low wages as reasons for their journey. Many of those who died drowned or were killed in a stampede near a border checkpoint. All 18 migrants buried on Friday were men, according to the cemetery's acting manager, Said Mohammed. Their graves were marked with numbers in case families later claim the bodies.
Disagreement on repatriation status
Ceuta's city government stated that repatriation paperwork was complete but Morocco's government had not accepted it. Morocco's foreign ministry did not respond to questions about blocking repatriation.
What the coverage left out
None of the reports printed below mention the total number of migrants who died during the border crisis, beyond the 18 buried. The figure of over 90 lives lost was only present in the Hindustan Times and Associated Press full reports, and one centre-rated digest. The number of people who crossed into Ceuta, stated as over 72,000 in some reports, was not universally included.
Still developing. We have re-checked which outlets are covering this 2 times, most recently on 21 Aug 2026, 22:15, and will add the sides that appear.
How each side covered it
Our own reading of the reporting listed below, written from the outlets’ articles rather than quoted from them. The reasoning is set out on our methodology page.
Left
7 rated outlets
- Left-rated reports highlighted the call from the Moroccan Association for Human Rights to halt burials until bodies could be identified and repatriated. These reports noted the NGO's statement that Morocco's foreign ministry had not responded to questions about blocking repatriation. The Associated Press, in its report carried by left-rated outlets, described the scene of prayers and body bags being lowered into numbered graves. Several left-rated digests mentioned that 18 migrants were laid to rest following Spain's deadliest border crisis.
Centre
7 rated outlets
- Centre-rated reports focused on the fact that 18 migrants were buried in Ceuta's Muslim cemetery following Spain's deadliest border crisis. These reports included details about the circumstances of the deaths, such as drowning or being killed in a stampede. The digests also noted that repatriation paperwork was complete but had not been accepted by Morocco's government, and that Morocco's foreign ministry did not respond to inquiries. The Hindustan Times' full report mentioned that all those buried were men and that graves were marked with numbers.
Right
0 rated outlets
No outlet rated right has run this story so far. We are still checking, and will say plainly if that does not change.
Questions about this coverage
- How did the left and right cover Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis?
- Of the 14 outlets on this story carrying a published leaning rating, 50% are rated left, 50% are rated centre, 0% are rated right. Those percentages are shares of the rated outlets, not of every outlet that ran it, which was 15. The sections above set out what each side emphasised, in its own terms.
- Is Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis left or right?
- Neither side dominates it. Of the 14 rated outlets on this story, 50% are rated left, 50% are rated centre, 0% are rated right, and no side holds the 70% this site would want before calling a field one-sided. A story is not left or right in any case; the outlets that carried it are what carry ratings.
- Is the coverage of Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis biased?
- Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis is one event reported by 15 outlets, and this page does not rate the story as biased or unbiased. What it publishes is the spread: which outlets ran it, where named rating organisations place each of them on the spectrum, and what each side chose to lead with. A leaning rating describes an outlet's record over time, not this article, and the two should not be run together.
- Which side is not reporting Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis?
- When we first saw this story, outlets rated right had barely covered it. Coverage accretes for hours after an event, so that is where to look rather than a verdict — the split above is the current count, and it is the one to read.
- Which outlets covered Ceuta buries 18 migrants who died in border crisis?
- 15 that we know of, every one of them listed further up this page with a link to its own report and to what we hold on the publisher. Nothing here is a summary of somebody else's summary: the outlets are named so the original reporting can be read.
- How many migrants were buried in Ceuta?
- Eighteen migrants who died during Spain's deadliest border crisis were buried in Ceuta's Muslim cemetery on Friday. They were among more than 90 people who lost their lives attempting to cross into the Spanish territory.
- Why were the migrants buried in Ceuta?
- The migrants were buried in Ceuta because repatriation efforts were stalled. Ceuta's city government stated that paperwork was complete, but Morocco's government had not accepted it, preventing the bodies from being returned to their home country.
- What caused the migrants' deaths?
- Many of the migrants died by drowning or in a stampede while attempting to cross a breakwater barrier near a border checkpoint. Migrants cited unemployment and low wages as reasons for undertaking the dangerous journey.
Read it at the source
15 outlets, grouped by the leaning a published rating gives them. Every headline links to the original; an underlined outlet name opens our profile of that publisher.
Left
7- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens The Seattle Times in a new tab)
The Seattle Times — is The Seattle Times biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens Associated Press News in a new tab)
Associated Press News — is Associated Press News biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens The Independent in a new tab)
The Independent — is The Independent biased? Our profile of this outlet
- 18 More Bodies for the Cemetery of the Anonymous: the Burials of Migrants Who Died at the Entrance to Ceuta Begin (opens Eldiario.es in a new tab)
Eldiario.es — is Eldiario.es biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens NiagaraFallsReview.ca in a new tab)
NiagaraFallsReview.ca — is NiagaraFallsReview.ca biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens The Record in a new tab)
The Record — is The Record biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens The Hamilton Spectator in a new tab)
The Hamilton Spectator — is The Hamilton Spectator biased? Our profile of this outlet
Centre
7- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens The Globe & Mail in a new tab)
The Globe & Mail — is The Globe & Mail biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens Hindustan Times in a new tab)
Hindustan Times — is Hindustan Times biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens Rutland Herald in a new tab)
Rutland Herald — is Rutland Herald biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens WBOC 16 in a new tab)
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens News 4 JAX in a new tab)
News 4 JAX — is News 4 JAX biased? Our profile of this outlet
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens WKMG in a new tab)
- Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory (opens Winnipeg Free Press in a new tab)
Winnipeg Free Press — is Winnipeg Free Press biased? Our profile of this outlet
Right
0No outlet in this group ran the story.
Not rated
1How did this read?
About the coverage, not about the story. We do not ask whether you agree with what happened — we have no honest use for that answer.


